In 60 seconds or less, your YouTube Shorts ad holds the key to capturing and retaining attention, encouraging active engagement from your viewers. As media buyers, you must stay ahead of the latest YouTube Shorts updates and industry best practices to ensure your video ads align with current standards.
What Exciting Features Does the YouTube Shorts Update Bring?
The popularity of YouTube Shorts, especially among the younger demographic, has only ever increased. Launched in 2020, YouTube Shorts emerged as a dedicated platform for short-form video content and later expanded to a global audience by March 2021. By September of the same year, YouTube Shorts ads became a staple, establishing itself as a standard ad placement.
With 135% YoY growth, YouTube Shorts provides unparalleled visibility. You can refine your strategies to engage viewers on this vast platform by staying informed about YouTube Shorts advertising updates. Seize the opportunity to showcase your brand to a broader audience and grab attention when your audience scrolls in YouTube Shorts.
- The Evolutionary Shifts in YouTube Shorts
- How Are YouTube Shorts Faring This Holiday Season?
- Could YouTube Shorts Advertising Be Your Brand’s Breakthrough?
The Evolutionary Shifts in YouTube Shorts
YouTube Shorts has undergone a remarkable transformation, consistently adapting to provide enhanced experiences for advertisers and increased viewer engagement. Explore the key milestones in the evolution of YouTube Shorts ads:
YouTube Shorts Advertising Updates: What You Need to Know
Which YouTube Shorts update truly matters for your campaigns? Let’s dissect the recent changes, focusing on what’s crucial for advertisers:
YouTube Shorts Usage by Advertisers
YouTube Shorts has quickly become a favorite amongst US advertisers in the span of the 3 years that it has been launched.
- Statista shares that 43% of US advertisers in 2022 has listed YouTube Shorts on the top 3 list of ad buyer preferences for advertising on social video platforms.
- In a 2023 study conducted by Fliki, YouTube Shorts showcased impressive growth despite its relatively recent entry into the short-form content arena. The experiment involved posting 20 videos across YouTube Shorts, TikTok, and Instagram Reels over two weeks. The results, as presented below, unveil the platform’s significant traction:
The data speaks volumes: Instagram Reels exhibited minimal engagement, recording only a single view across all 20 videos over the span of two weeks. While TikTok stands out as a formidable force, it’s YouTube Shorts that takes the lead.
- Adding another layer to the narrative is VaynerMedia. By running campaigns tailored to maximize Shorts inventory, utilizing vertical video ad assets and concentrating ad delivery on mobile devices, they estimate a 20% to 30% reduction in cost-per-thousand-view (CPM) compared to traditional YouTube ad inventory. This cost-effective advantage positions YouTube Shorts as an attractive platform for advertisers seeking efficiency without compromising impact.
YouTube Shorts Ad Placements
VAC (YouTube Video Action Campaigns)
Formerly TrueView for Action, VAC aims to drive conversions on and off YouTube within a single automated campaign. YouTube Shorts feed on mobile devices is a key distribution channel for VAC. Adding a vertical video asset to a VAC delivers 10-20% more conversions than using only horizontal videos for YouTube Shorts.
VVC (YouTube Video Views Campaigns)
Aiming to maximize views at a lower cost, VVC strategically places video ads where they perform best. With VVC, YouTube recognizes more views at lower costs, counting views at 10 seconds autoplay or a click.
Ad Buying Program for YouTube Shorts
As of now, advertisers can purchase Shorts inventory bundled with other YouTube inventory through Video View or Video Action campaigns.
The new YouTube Shorts update has introduced the ability to exclusively target Shorts inventory – a notable addition to the platform’s product suite. This feature is currently in the testing phase, initiated over the summer. This update primarily aims to allow brands to advertise solely within the YouTube Shorts environment.
Advertisers can start by employing basic targeting such as age, gender, and geolocation. Taking customization a step further, advertisers can also target Shorts ads based on specific content categories. This update does not offer targeting based on specific channels or videos. However, with each YouTube Shorts update, there’s always a promise of potential advancements in future iterations.
Amid these developments, optimism resonates from the buyer side of the advertising spectrum. The evolving capabilities of YouTube Shorts generate positive anticipation as the platform continues providing advertisers with effective strategic campaign tools.
In the Holiday Spirit: How Are YouTube Shorts Faring This Season?
The impact of VAC integration is vividly reflected in the substantial upswing in click-through rates. By placing ads directly within the Shorts feed, we’ve enhanced the accessibility of our campaigns, encouraging users to engage and interact with our content more meaningfully.
The ability of YouTube Shorts to capture attention in as little as 10 to 60 seconds, has become a driving force behind the efficiency of our campaigns.
Our YouTube ad campaigns have experienced a festive flourish as the holiday season approached. There has been a discernible 12.1% drop in CPM and a concurrent rise in click-through rates (CTR). These trends accentuate the substantial impact of YouTube Shorts from November 2022 H1 to November 2022 H2.
Could YouTube Shorts Advertising Be Your Brand’s Breakthrough?
While acknowledging the accomplishments of each YouTube Shorts update, it’s clear that there’s still room for innovation. The platform’s rapid growth to 50 billion daily views solidifies its standing as a powerful stage for advertisers globally. YouTube Shorts, though still in its early stages, has already demonstrated considerable promise.
The central question now beckons advertisers—are you ready to jump into the YouTube Shorts advertising hype? Is this platform the right fit for your brand’s advertising endeavors? With its expansive reach and evolving features, YouTube Shorts presents a compelling opportunity for those seeking to impact short-form video advertising significantly.
Expand your expertise. Browse Strike Social’s latest blogs here:
- Advertising Know-Hows: LinkedIn Ads Glossary
- Exploring the Rise of TikTok Shop in Modern E-commerce
- Score Big with 2024 Super Bowl Social Media Campaigns
- Grow Your Audience by Promoting Your Podcast on Instagram Reels
- Advertising Know-Hows: Facebook Ad Glossary
- Excluding Video and Channel Placements in YouTube Ad Campaigns