Saturday, June 30 is Social Media Day, a day to be recognized for the impact social media has had on our lives across the world. It has become a central part of our global communication and our day-to-day lives.
To celebrate its impact, we’ve compiled 50 social media statistics that every social media marketer should know in 2018.
Social media statistics
- There are 4.2 billion internet users in the world. That’s over half of the world’s total population.
- 3.03 billion users are active on social media.
- 97 percent of millennials say they use the internet.
- The average social media user spends 135 minutes a day online.
- On average, people spend 40 minutes a day watching YouTube.
- Teens spend at least nine hours a day using social media.
- 60 percent of social media consumption comes from mobile devices.
- On average, active Snapchat users spend more than 30 minutes a day in the app. Learn more about Snapchat for Business.
- The average internet user has seven social media accounts.
- 22 percent of the world’s population is on Facebook.
- Visual content is 40 times more likely to get shared than other types of content.
- 43 percent of people want to see more video content.
- 88 percent of businesses are on social media.
- Facebook has 2.2 billion monthly active users.
- YouTube has 1.5 billion users.
- Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users.
- Instagram Stories has 300 million users worldwide.
- LinkedIn has 500 million users worldwide.
- Twitter has 300 million monthly active users.
- Pinterest has 250 million users worldwide.
- Snapchat has 178 million users snapping daily.
A look at demographics
- 88 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds say that they use social media.
- 51 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds say it would be hard to give up social media.
- 45 percent of teens say they are online almost all of the time.
- 68 percent of U.S. adults are active Facebook users.
- 62 percent of Facebook users are female.
- 50 percent of LinkedIn users are between the ages of 30-49.
- 81 percent of millenials check Twitter at least once a day.
- 70 percent of Pinterest users are women.
- 1 in 2 millenials use Pinterest every month.
- 50 percent of Americans with a college degree use LinkedIn.
How people use social media
- A quarter of U.S. adults get their news from at least two or more social media sites.
- 61 percent of Pinterest users say they use the platform to find ideas to be their best selves.
- 93 percent of Pinterest users use the platform to plan purchases.
- 70 percent of YouTube users use the platform to help solve a problem and 86 percent use it to learn something new.
- 79 percent of B2B marketers see LinkedIn as a beneficial source for lead generation.
- Facebook users watch more than 100 million hours of video each day on the platform.
- 93 percent of Twitter users who follow small businesses plan to make a purchase from a brand they follow.
Social media advertising statistics
- Advertising in mobile channels is expected to account for 30.5 percent of global advertising expenditure in 2020.
- 93 percent of social media advertisers use Facebook advertising.
- 5 million businesses advertise on Facebook.
- 70 percent of ads in front of videos are watched completely.
- 75 percent to 90 percent of Facebook ad performance is based on dynamic images.
- Instagram ads grew by 28 percent in the last half of 2017.
- Single videos account for 25 percent of Instagram ads.
- The cost for Twitter advertising is declining.
- 41 percent of Twitter users purchased products after exposure to an ad on the platform within 30 days.
- It is projected that 30.1 percent of Americans will use an ad blockerin 2018.
- Only 56 percent of Facebook ads have a call to action.
- Small-to-medium-size business use on YouTube has doubled in the last two years.